813 Posts
Main Forum

At Long Last I Have Finally Returned

6 replies
Silver_Q SUB
Silver_Q @ Survival
Votes:
+202
It's been a long time everyone, but I'm finally back for good this time. A lot has changed and it's been a very busy year since I've been offline. I figured I'd make this forum post because although I try to add everyone I know on here to my friends list I'm sure I've missed some people.

First off for those who don't know why I've been gone I'll give a quick summary:
On December 12th 2017 my 5 year old PC was running perfectly, and then during a routine restart something went wrong and my motherboard exploded and caught fire. This sudden disruption not only rendered my entire system unusable, but also corrupted the Windows 7 operating system on the main hard drive. I was already in the process of saving up for a new PC so it wasn't a huge setback, after all new upgrades I have a $1,500 setup now, but because of the corrupted OS on my original HDD I couldn't just plug that in and use it. Long story short after begrudgingly purchasing Windows 10 and sifting through over 300 GB of files from my old system salvaged and moved via an external hard drive, I have finally restored a functional system with all of my old game data in tact.

Now if you're thinking that building a PC and running through a ton of files to transfer shouldn't take over a year to complete, normally you'd be right, but honestly when have I ever turned out to be normal?
The reason such a relatively simple task took such a ridiculous amount of time is due to the events that transpired between my unsuccessful attempts to load Windows 7 onto modern hardware.

Only a couple days after my PC's initial failure I completed my college classes and earned my Certificate of Specialization in Precision Machining Technology, basically a fancy piece of paper that says I know my way around a metalworking shop. After completing that I quickly found a job as a machinist not too far from where I lived with my parents to save up some decent money, I still kept my part time job at The UPS Store while working at my full time job. Unfortunately I was unable to keep my first job as a machinist, due to me overworking myself I ended up oversleeping a few times, turns out I can't handle working 70 hours a week between two jobs.

Even more bad news struck when my dad got the news that the company he worked at for 18 years was running out of work and would be closing its location in the midwest for good pretty soon. The location was going to be filled by a sister company which was owned by the same company that owns the company my dad used to work for, so he tried to apply for the new company since they needed 1,000+ people to fill positions there and it would allow him to keep his 18 years of seniority. Unfortunately the company decided they didn't need him at the midwest location, but instead offered him a position all the way at the edge of the east coast.

I didn't know what I was going to do right then, but I knew that I wanted to stay in the midwest even though my parents had to leave. I didn't have quite enough money saved or enough of an income from my part time job that I still had in order to live on my own, but I was able to make an arrangement to live with my godparents briefly while I saved up a bit more and looked for another full time job. My parents moved to the east coast shortly after I moved over to my godparents' house, and it wasn't long at all before I found another job. This time I would only be a temp at first, but it was still a machinist position and after 6 months the company would have the opportunity to hire me on permanently. I gave my notice for my part time job this time before I started working full time again, I'd learned my lesson before.

A few months after moving to my godparents' house I had saved enough, and now had enough of a steady income to where I could afford to move into my own apartment. I was on overtime at work quite a bit, 10 hour days for 5 days a week and sometimes between 6 and 8 hours on Saturdays, but it's been a lot more manageable being all at one job. After working for 6 months at this job they decided to offer me a permanent position which I happily accepted. Once the apartment had been set up and overtime has finally died down to a mere 45 hours a week total I finally had the time to address all the issues with my new PC, all the files to be transferred, and finally set everything up to be active on the community again.

Now I've been saving the best for last in all of this, because during this year there was one person present whom I haven't mentioned yet. A few months before all of this took place I met a very nice girl in a line to one of the rides at Six Flags, we exchanged information and have not gone a single day since without talking. I introduced her to this Minecraft and this community, she had trouble deciding on a username and chose Pinktopia knowing she would change it later. Not two months later of seeing her and talking to her it became clear to both of us that we never wanted to be apart, and in May of 2017 we were engaged. I was waiting to announce on the forums as a big reveal after we were married, but shortly before we were scheduled to be married is when my computer decided to deep fry itself. We were initially planning for the wedding to be in January of 2018, but that was about the time where money was tight and a place of our own would not be available. We had to postpone the wedding for a while, but finally at last, after 2 months of living in the apartment on my own the wedding day had finally arrived. In late August the day came and we said our vows in front of our friends and family, she moved into the apartment which is now ours. I've told her so much about this community and the wonderful people who are a part of it, she'll tell you herself that I consider everyone here to be basically extended family to me. As for her username now we both brainstormed and thought that since I chose my name from the Generation II Pokémon games that she would do the same. So I am proud to introduce to you all my wife, Mrs. Crystal_Q, and since I got her a fancy PC as well I know she'll be as happy joining this community as I am to be back.

All in all I'm sorry for the immensely long post, we're looking forward to seeing each and every one of you in the days, months, and years to come. :)

TL;DR:
I'm back now
My PC broke
I got a new one
I got busy
I finally got my PC working
I'm married now, her name is Crystal_Q <3
3850768.jpg
Posted Mar 13, 19 · OP · Last edited Mar 13, 19 by Silver_Q
List
Undo
Votes:
+11
WOW! that is quite the year! Congratulations to you and Crystal! I ihope to meet you guys in game. Not many peeps on lately that ive noticed, but spring break is happening so more will be on for a while anyway. If yall need something and im online just ask and ill see if i can help. Cheers
Posted Mar 13, 19
List
Undo
Silver_Q SUB
Silver_Q @ Survival
Votes:
+202
WOW! that is quite the year! Congratulations to you and Crystal! I ihope to meet you guys in game. Not many peeps on lately that ive noticed, but spring break is happening so more will be on for a while anyway. If yall need something and im online just ask and ill see if i can help. Cheers

Yeah, and right now I'm working 2nd shift which means I work from 2:30pm - 12:00am CST, so my time on may consist of me being active mostly at night for now. Hopefully once I'm down to 8 hour days (if that ever happens again) I'll be able to get to bed early and actually wake up in the morning.
3850768.jpg
Posted Mar 13, 19 · OP
Votes:
+185
Awesome to hear from you, Silver! Glad to see you are doing well!
229221.png
Posted Mar 13, 19
List
Undo
Kaioko
Kaioko @ Survival
Votes:
+2,418
I'm so happy you're back! I can't wait to meet Crystal as well! Sooo happy! <3 <3
9cT2eDq.png
Posted Mar 14, 19
List
Undo
Votes:
+533
Welcome back Silver!
WUGOUI1.png
Posted Mar 17, 19
List
Undo
Votes: