1279 Posts
1251 Posts
1222 Posts
925 Posts
889 Posts
821 Posts
813 Posts
Main Forum

Pokemon GO advice for a noob (For myself and others who might want to get into it)

9 replies
Votes:
+285
Well, IT seems quite a few people play Pokemon GO on here and since I just started a day ago I thought I would ask for people's advice. Things like how one makes a 'great' throw. How does one battle with the Pokemon once you have them. And of course any other advice for getting good Pokemon or training them. And any egg info on how to find them and such. And also when is the best time to throw a pokeball to have the best chance to catch one (Bigger the ring or the smaller the ring, which is best?)

Basically anything you can toss out there, even if it seems semi-basic it might help myself or someone else who is just starting.
Posted Feb 2, 19 · OP · Last edited Feb 2, 19 by Todd_river...
Votes:
+8
Alright well I'll throw some things out that I can think of. To start out, the most important thing to get is levels. This is because the level of pokemon you find in the wild is limited by your trainer level, up to level 30. So you want to save candy on rarer/stronger pokemon for a bit later and evolve the more common for the extra experience.

Easiest way to get experience at this point is honestly the friendship levels as well as raids and, a little outclassed now, evolving multiple things. To take advantage of this, use any lucky eggs you get before a friendship rank up (particularly ultra and best friends are big boosts) or before a big streak of evoles as it will double all experience you get for 30 minutes. Also just catch most everything you can that you find around you. Good xp as well as bonuses towards your catch medals for the type, which buffs your catch chance of those types in the future.

Good pokemon usually come through events and raids. Events will be announced ahead of time (like the community day this upcoming weekend) and will usually have some rarer spawns or unique moves. This weekends big deal is swinubs last evolution, which will be the best ice type currently and most likely the best going forward.

Eggs you get from pokestops and from gifts from friends. 2km, 5km, and 10km from stops, 7km from eggs. The 7kms have all the baby pokemon, the alolan variants, and some other rare ones. The other eggs all have their own pools of hatches that are too large to go through, there are lists online but it does change. Just make sure to not use any non infinite incubators (the blue or purple ones) on a 2km egg, I personally only use them on 7km or 10km ones and rarely on 5kms if I want to clear them for some egg event.

Best time to throw a pokeball is generally right when a pokemon finishes their attack animation, as there tends to be a delay before they will again. As for catch circle, go for the one you're able to hit consistently. I tend to go for great throws on just random wild things and great/excellent on raid bosses depending on how hard they are to hit. The smaller the ring, the higher the bonus when you hit it. I would encourage learning how to throw curve throws early (spin the ball before releasing) as it not only gives an xp bonus, but gives a higher catch chance.

Let me know if you have any questions, either on discord or on here. Always happy to help.
Posted Feb 4, 19
Votes:
+285
That is helpful. I have wasted way too many pokeballs on trying to curve it so I've kind of given up on that aspect. I'm level 16 now. So i think i'm doing well. Hatching eggs and getting though things. Still need to get into the whole raid/gym stuff so any info on those aspect would be cool.

Now if only I can get an egg to give me a white Vulpix my life will be complete. :)
Posted Feb 4, 19 · OP
Votes:
+8
For gyms, honestly just whenever you see a gym that's your team and it has a spot, throw something in. Most people don't really care what's put in a gym besides some mild complaints when someone breaks a theme. You'd have to find the locations near you that have a good amount of gyms with decent turnover but not constantly fought over. Gym's strength decays over time so if you look at one that all has hearts that are low or empty, its easy to knock things out and put your own stuff in. You can get 50 pokecoins a day and you receive them when something you have in a gym is knocked out. Every 10 minutes something is in a gym adds 1 coin to the total you'll get when it comes back.

For raids, the best chance you have is finding a local discord group of players if there's one near you. Most cities have one. People post in those when raids are starting and tend to go from raid to raid. The ease of these depends big time on your area, it's much easier in bigger cities to find groups and in the largest you probably could just wander up to a raid and generally find people wanting to do it when the eggs hatch. I can't get the page to load currently but this link has a lot of the discord groups on it https://thesilphroad.com/map. Silph roads also a great website for research into things and guides.

Also a heads up on the raids, the number needed it tells you in game is way off. Tier 1 and 2's can be pretty easily soloed with one or two level 20-30 counters to them. Tier 3's are soloable if you have a full team of counters around that level (best way to get good machamps once you get to that stage, which are great for a lot of raids/gyms). Tier 4 and 5 are basically not soloable and the difficulty of each depends on how defensive the pokemon are. You get one free raid pass a day, but if you haven't used a previous days yet, you can double up by using one, spinning a gym to get another free raid pass, and then using it.

I wouldn't worry overly about raids for now unless you just see a good opportunity. If you end up going out during events like community day to the popular areas near you, you should be able to find people just doing them and jump in for the chance to catch something really good for you. The higher tier raids can be hard to catch the pokemon from so don't get too discouraged if you don't catch it, it still gives good xp and items that can only be gotten from raids like TM's and items that are only in a few places like rare candies. Good luck and happy hunting
Posted Feb 4, 19 · Last edited Feb 4, 19 by Leery
Votes:
+19
I wish like Legendary Raids were easier. I never see anyone doing those around me, so I never have a chance of getting them. Also, I wish they didn't take down the Pokemon GO radars, it's so hard finding the pokemon you need unless you really go out and look, which I don't nor have the time to. I also need a ditto, and he's like impossible it seems.
enjin-178675-HanSolo0001-blue.png
Posted Feb 5, 19
Votes:
+285
Thank you for the info. I did see a boss pop up at a Gym. A tier one I think. But sadly I don't have any level 20's yet I think. I need to check how to find out what there levels are. I have a couple now that have a CP of 1000+
Posted Feb 5, 19 · OP
Votes:
+19
Pokemon GO doesn't have levels per se, everything goes by the CP (combat power) of your Pokemon. A Raid boss poke will have X amount of heads on it indicating the difficulty of the boss. If it is a 3 or below, typically you can solo the boss with your own pokemon depending on your CP levels. Your own trainer can level up to about 45 or 50, somewhere along there.
enjin-178675-HanSolo0001-blue.png
Posted Feb 5, 19
Votes:
+285
I do have one more question. How and when can you use the potions? Only fighting i've done so far is the training stuff. Are they used for like Gym or raid battles only? And if so, How does one use them in battle?
Posted Feb 6, 19 · OP
Votes:
+8
Yeah, when you do gym/raid battles the pokemon actually stay damaged or knocked out. Revives are for when they're knocked out, potions to heal them to full. Pokemon that get knocked out of gyms come back knocked out as well.

If your bag gets super full of them, don't hesitate throwing some away. I end up having to throw away potions and revives a lot since I haven't been out doing the gyms and raids as much lately.
Posted Feb 7, 19
Votes:
+285
Ok, Thank you. I'll at least dump the 20hp ones since I have a bunch of the 200hp ones now. :)

Thanks for all the info. I'm hoping to try and hit the local gym today or tomorrow to see what that's like.
Posted Feb 7, 19 · OP
NoticeNotices